Design House - Fazakerley Street, Liverpool
Design House is situated in the heart of Liverpool’s business district, just off Old Hall Street which had been vacant since 2016 and was previously used as a Leisure Club. The building sits within the Castle Street Conservation Area and so the development works had to be sensitive to the area and in keeping with the council planning constraints.
This building was originally part of the American embassy complex before it was knocked down in 1902 to make way for a branch of the Mersey Tunnel which runs directly under the site. The new building was built around 1912 when it appears again on the Gore’s Directory. In its new form it was a cotton warehouse, brewery, leather goods shop and a design studio for Littlewood’s catalogue.
Work began in November 2019 and continued throughout the pandemic taking just 7 months from start to completion when this Turn-Key site was handed over to the client. Development of this site included removing the Welsh slate tiled roof with the tiles being retained and graded to be installed back on the newly constructed Mansard roof.
About The Property
New dormers were created and clad in lead to marry with the slate tiles to ensure it blended seamlessly with the surrounding street scene. Internally we tried to retain as much of the original features as possible including the 17th century fireplace, original front doors and sandstone staircase to name but a few.
The original Parquet floor was restored and was complimented by the sandblasted original fire breasts. The original features were then further accentuated by the installation of picture rails and wall mouldings and finished in a Farrow and Ball paint scheme.