Royden House, Park Road North, Birkenhead Park
The site consists of 14 dwellings, 12no. 1 bed apartments and 2no. Self-contained 2 bed apartments and is Grade 2 Listed. The building was the original site of Birkenhead Head School and was built around 1847. It was converted into nurse’s accommodation for the nearby Birkenhead General Hospital which closed in 1982.
Works carried out on this Grade 2 building had to be done sensitively to comply with its listed building status with only like for like changes to the exterior of the building, this included removing graffiti from the sandstone façade and remaking several sash windows to exactly the same specification as the originals. The 2 acres of mature gardens were tendered to and new driveway covering installed.